Sunday, December 24, 2006

End of an Era

We knew it was going to happen sooner or later, but yesterday December 23, 2006 was that day. Bea Black also known as Mimi, was laid to rest in Norman Oklahoma. She was the only grandmother I really knew even though she wasn't mine by blood, she was my wife's. She was 94.

Mimi was full of life, spirit, and creativity. I remember when I first met her 21 years ago and I thought this woman is no ordinary grandmother. She was vibrant and colorful, she even wore a turban the our wedding. But the thing I remember when I first met her was she accepted me with open arms. She wrapped her arms around me, which made me nervous at that time, and said, "welcome to the family and pay no attention to that man over there." She was speaking of her husband, A.D. who was known for razzing new green members of the family. She was supportive. She was caring. She was loving. She was Mimi.

As we were leaving Norman Oklahoma, we realized we may not come back. Although it is a town full of memories, the remaining family members have moved to different locations and have paved the way for other new families to begin their legacy. The Blacks were fine people. We loved them very much; will miss them but know that they too have gone on to be with Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I will never forget her.

No comments: