Saturday, November 11, 2006

A New Day



It's 5 a.m., the start of a new day. I am here in Overland Park Kansas(just over the border from Kansas City), waiting for the next cup of brew to be ready. Today is one for me that I am not sure how to approach. Normally, I want to learn, find something new,see something I have never seen however small or insignificant it might be to others. It has to do with that longing to be creative. Finding that treasure that others might overlook as they whiz down the highway trying to get to their destination as fast as humanly possible.

Yesterday, as I was driving up here from Springfield, there was a horrific wreck where a semi-truck and a car had collided and overturned. There were no less than 10 emergency vehicles attending to the scene, and I could not help by think how that could have been me. Or you. Although I don't know the circumstances, it was quite apparent that someone was in too big of a hurry, not paying attention, or maybe leaned over to pick up the fallen item on the floorboard. Tragic.

I can't help but reflect that in our daily lives we just don't stop enough to be thankful for what we have, who we love, and where we are. It appears that one is constantly trying to push harder in life and business to succeed. Succeed? Succeed how?

Success means different things to different people. Most people I have met look at it as wealth, and ignore the very best things they could ever have which are right in front of them and taken for granted. Love, friendship, and health. Yes, I know, so obvious, yet often overlooked. We worry way to much about building wealth and therefore our focus is swayed. A very smart man once told me that if you focus your business on the people and their needs, go way out of your way to serve them, the money will come. Never, ever put the money decisions before the peoples needs. Easy to say, but harder to do. Funny thing is, our lives are not that much different. If we focus on the ones we love, the love will come right back to us.

A new day. Yes, the day is in front of me, I do not want to look back tomorrow and regret today. I want to live today and enjoy every breath that I have. My son and I will be together all day. We will play, shop, swim, and even go to a ballroom dance competition to see "mom" compete. She is a great dancer by the way. We will look for new things and meet new people that will enhance our lives. We will smile at everyone we meet, hoping that little gesture will make them smile too, as if to say, it's all going to be fine.

Tomorrow will be a long day. Up at 3:30, off to airport for an early flight to New Orleans for the Real Estate convention. I can't wait to learn more, and enjoy every moment along the way. If I happen to run into you, make sure you smile and say Hi, because even this optimistic guy gets worn out too.

No comments: