As a landlord, I am constantly hearing tenants tell me what is "normal wear and tear". It is so funny what people come up with when they are desperate. Here are a few recent tenant statements when they had just moved out about their final walkthru:
1. "Burn holes in the carpet since it is ok to smoke in the home."
2. "I had to move the fridge and just because there is a 2 foot tear in the vinyl, you should not charge me because it is normal wear and tear."
3. "Those grease hand prints on the wall are totally normal wear and tear."
4. "Doesn't everybody park in the front yard?" (killed the grass and major ruts)
5. "You were going to clean the carpets anyway, right?"
6. "That hole in the wall was an accident. You can't charge me for accidents."
7. "The wind just blew the storm door right off the home."
8. "Those were not my fleas. They must have come in right after I left"
9. "It was that way (damaged items, many) when we moved in" (it was a brand new home)
10. And my favorite, "If you won't charge me now, I will come back and clean it next week"
There are thousands more, and each time it keeps getting better. I don't understand why people won't take responsibility for their own actions. That's why we document everything.
I have no doubt there will be more to come!